Sunday, November 20, 2011

12. Final Thoughts

This project has been a fun one and definitely tested my skills and patience from time to time.  The trailer tows great behind my truck and hasn't really affected my gas mileage too much.  After a week and a half camping in the desert, it performed admirably and will be a great weekender for someone that likes to tent camp without the hassle of setting up the tent after each move.  Building it to my specifications was both a creative and thought-provoking endeavor. 

Now the negatives.  First, the trailer is a stretch as a full-time RV as there isn't enough room to move around when the weather outside isn't cooperating.  After a 48 hr. Santa Ana wind blew through, my dog and I were ready to abandon ship.  Second, as a writer, I need a dedicated table at which to use my laptop and there just isn't room to accommodate this. 

If you need something to tow behind a car as you spend a week camping on occasion, this would be fine, but if you need something more, as I do, save your money and step up to a travel trailer or motorhome.  I now live and travel in a 19' Skyline Nomad and while still a little small at times, it weighs in at under 3000 lbs. and tows perfectly behind my V6 truck. 

Hope to see you out on the road :~)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are fantastic and I much appreciate the pros and cons. Thank-you!
Ruth

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

How much did your final product weigh? Also, how much did it cost you to get the trailer with your modifications from the manufacturer?

Dan Anderson said...

Your post have everything that is obtained complete and really useful. This post is very good. Thank you for presenting an informative post.
dakkoffer