Sunday, February 20, 2011

2. Size Matters

The first step in this process is to determine the perfect size for my mobile mansion.  Too large and I'll consume additional fuel towing the trailer and additional heating fuel heating the trailer.  Too small and lack of space issues arise.  So, I decided to reverse engineer the dimensions of my future trailer based on what I want to put into it. 

I'm 6' 2" tall and plan to install a twin size (approx) bed.   This bed needs to fold up against the wall so that a motorcycle can be loaded in and secured.  This will also aid in using the cargo trailer for non-camping purposes. Plastic storage boxes under the bed can be used for additional bedding, etc.

I know that I want a cabinet in the front to hold a small microwave and refrigerator.  The cabinet will also hold all cooking supplies and dry goods.  Next to that, I want a closet to hang clothes in.  I don't need much space.  Just a tall section for shirts and pants and a few drawers for the rest.  This brings up an important  question.  Am I alright with built-in cabinets or are removable cabinets the way to go?  After considering this subject for a while, I've come to the conclusion that being able to remove the front cabinet with the microwave and refrigerator for interior space is important to me.  The only truly built-in component will be the fold-up bed (sticking out less than 6 inches from the wall).

After researching the dimensions of the components listed above and knowing that I want at least 6 feet of headroom, I've come to the decision that a 6'x12' cargo trailer represents the best choice for my project.  That size is very popular with businesses, motorcycle riders and landscapers.  This popularity drives the competition among builders up and the overall price down.  There were other considerations.  6'x12' is generally the largest size made without tandem (2) axles and power brakes, both of which add cost and have no added value to my trailer as my weight rating requirements are quite low.  And then there are the added tires needed for a tandem axle. $$$$

So it's settled then.  I'll start my search for a 6'x12' cargo trailer.

Next Blog: Rough Drawing

No comments: